Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Study in Muddy...

Mud.  You learn to love it, or at best, you get by, because you have to during this time of year in Panama.  And even though we live at an altitude of 3,000 feet or so, we still deal with a lot of the brown, mucky, boot sucky stuff.

Our house is situated in a fairly level area, with about 5 other homes in the family group - on the edge of a decent sized field that the kids in the area like to use to play various sports, or just run around like crazy.  This field is actually a secret lake in the rainy season.  When the rain starts, the ground will soak up some of the water, but not anymore!

What this means is that life in a dirt floored house, situated on level with the secret lake, gets quite interesting as the rains get harder and more consistent.  Before you fret too much, know that our dirt floor inside the house actually stays pretty nice and dry, thanks to some draining ditches that Ben dug around the house to divert the water flow.  We do drag in a lot of mud though, and stepping even a foot outside our house now is a dangerous activity without rubber boots.

Oh how we love our rubber boots.  Almost like 4-wheel drive in the mud - you can go just about anywhere and not worry - unless the mud gets as deep and sticky as it now is around the house.  A trip to our water faucet, a mere 5 feet or so away involves inches of mud, and the trip to the latrine is much more perilous.  Thinking about showering?  Wear your rubber boots, then strip out of them into flip flops to shower, then try to dry your feet without getting your towel muddy so you can put the boots back on to get to the house in one piece.  But we careful, you'll probably have to stop at the faucet to wash off the mud that you've splattered onto your upper legs, arms, back or any other exposed flesh.

I've started a bit of a mantra when going into and out of the house.  Boots go on, boots go off... Boots go on, boots go off.  Why so much on and off though?  Well, if you keep them on, your feet don't breathe - so you end up with moist foot rot.  Which you're going to get anyways from wearing socks for 5 days on end (yeah, we do, we don't have many pairs) and putting them into and out of the boots so much, but - it won't be as bad as it could have been.

Once we leave the house area, we have to slog through 6 or more inches of mud/lake to get to the horse gate, climb up the path to the main road, and then you're safe - heck you may not even need the boots - but don't you dare not wear them and think you could just wear other shoes and wash off the mud.  No, this path is deceptive.  It's muddy yeah, but part of it is pretty solid - and MOLDY.  That mold is slippery.  So, avoid the mold right?  Ha!  Then you're in the 6 inches of mud just to the sides of that moldy hardpacked path. What to choose?  Either way involves shuffling along, and a lot of concentration.

Case in point: we returned to site one day - laden down with our backpacks, computer case, and bags of food.  We get to the top of the gentle slope down to the horse gate, and start inching our way down.  I'm wearing my crocs (stupid idea).  I'm about halfway there, and have already slid around a bit, when a girl yells "BEI!" - I say "Hola" and watch my feet fly up in front of my face, as I fall on all my bags, and slide into the mud.  She ran into the house to inform everyone of my hilarious act.  After much cursing, I found my footing and worked my way to the house to scrub up every inch of my body and salvage the bags.

Sometimes you've got to embrace the mud.  I also recently played a game of baseball with the area kids in the secret lake.  The water receded - but I was fooled.  This game quickly turned into a game of mud baseball.  And mostly, I was the one covered in mud, because even in my mud 4-wheel drive, I couldn't keep my feet on the ground.  I dove for the ball and fell on my butt and hands.  Then at bat, I cracked a nice hit to the outfield, and took two steps to run to 1st - and ended up on my hands and knees in mud.  The game didn't last long, but I gave the kids a lot of laughs - something I'm apparently pretty good at.  The ICY cold shower afterward actually felt pretty good, and I didn't forget the boots!

When will it end?  Hard to say - maybe a month - based on last year's experience. Time will tell, and until that time, you can imagine me saying "boots go on, boots go off..."

Check out photos in the "study of muddy" on facebook!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rain, bugs and MUD - oh, my !! What a place you now call home and what an adventure for your feet ! I take it balance is rather challenging as you negotiate the sticky stuff.

Thanks for sharing and giving us an account of life in the Comarca during the rainy season.
We'll be seeing you soon - can't wait and until then take care and "boots on & boots off !"

Love you - Mom, Dad & critters !